Permit Eligibility

Parking Permit Eligibility Guidelines


Residence Hall Permits

Any ISU student who has a housing contract is eligible to purchase a Residence Hall permit. Residence Hall permit eligibility is based on housing contracts and availability in specific lots. This will be determined when requesting the permit.

Commuter permits

ISU students who live outside of campus can purchase commuter permits for lots 29, 68, 119 and lot 93.

Faculty & Staff

General and Reserved Permits for Employees

Employees paid by ISU (including affiliated organizations and ISU students) are responsible for personally purchasing an ISU permit if they intend to park a personal vehicle on campus.  University funds cannot be used to pay for personal permits. 

Employees who receive a University vehicle as part of their employment contract (and whose primary work location is not away from central campus) are responsible for personally purchasing an ISU permit. 

ISU undergraduate students are NOT ELIGIBLE for any Faculty/Staff permits. Graduate students working 75% or more are eligible for General Staff permits and will need to contact the parking office to purchase. 

Permits for University Vehicles

Permits for all other University vehicles that are not part of an employment contract may be purchased from University funds.   

Additional Permits Available to Departments

Departments may purchase from University funds departmental permits for use by staff/vendors needing temporary, short-term access to different areas of campus.   In rare situations where availability of parking is severely limited and/or where access is needed for longer periods of time than short-term permits would allow, it may be more practical to purchase general or reserved permits to ensure the most efficient use of employees’ time. To prevent misuse of departmental permits, units are strongly encouraged to retain permits in the departmental administrative offices and check permits out to staff as needed.   

Departments may purchase permits from University funds that are for use by temporary visitors/volunteers who are not part of the University’s payroll.  

Permits Purchased from Federal Funds

Permits purchased from federally funded sponsored accounts or appropriations must include a business justification that documents the purpose of the permit to the sponsored project. 

ISU Employees Housed Away From Central Campus

Employees whose primary work location is away from central campus without ISU provided parking system lots may use permits purchased by their departments for temporary, short-term access to different areas of campus.